We've all heard the jokes: "You know you're a mum when your fantasies are about sleeping."
"I'm so tired my tired is tired."
Sure, they can make you chuckle but to the sleep-deprived mums out there, maybe they're not quite so amusing.
Research carried out by the Sleep Health Foundation has shown between 33 and 45 percent of Australians have poor sleep patterns. As a result, one may wind up feeling tired and irritable the next day, often leading to lower productivity or even possible damage to mental health and other unsafe behaviours. Perhaps even more alarming is the fact that the numbers are on the rise.
According to a study led by Professor Robert Adams at the University of Adelaide, women are more likely to experience difficulty falling asleep, while also waking up too early with a feeling of exhaustion and irritation.
Here at Sealy, where our aim is for everyone to get the best sleep possible, we thought it might be helpful to give you a few ideas for Mothers’ Day gifts that help Mums get that much deserved rest.
Winding down after a long day with some “alone time”, a warm bath, a good book, or listening to music is a good start. Already getting some ideas?
Why not turn mum's bedroom into her own personal spa retreat?
It's easier than you might think with no end of fabulous products available in all price ranges to get you started.
- To get the right environment going, set the mood with some relaxing candles (smokeless if possible) or burn essential oils in scents such as lavender or chamomile. These tried and trusted, warm and mellow fragrances with floral hints are well known to contribute to peace and relaxation.
- Take it up a notch with the use of an essential oil humidifier. Imagine the calming effect of an essential oil fragrance and gentle mist being distributed to every corner of the room. Enjoy a comfortable, safe and efficient use of essential oils by adding 6-12 drops of your favourite essential oil and turning it on. There are a variety of diffusers on the market these days and some of them will run for up to eight hours, shutting themselves off on their own when water is low (great to put on before bed and just let it run).
- Rejuvenate her mind and body with a delightful selection of bath salts or bath bombs in a variety pack that you’ve specially selected. Each can come with their own particular attributes, from soothing vanilla/musk soakers to something with a bit more zing, such as a citrus variety.
- Although it’s often said we should cut back on technology to really switch off, the gift of a Bluetooth speaker or similar device means your mum can play her favourite music from her favourite artists as she relaxes in the bath. Why not go a step further and create a playlist for her that you know she’ll like. It’s a nice personal touch to show you’ve really thought about her.
- For after the bath and as an extra special touch there’s nothing better than a new, soft, fluffy towel or go all out and invest in a luxurious robe. With the cooler weather approaching this can be like a warm hug every day. Add in a pair of matching slippers or even a set of silk pajamas to have your mum feeling like a new woman. If you think that sounds too old-fashioned, it doesn’t take much effort to find ones which can be as fun and quirky as you like. There’s sure to be something out there to suit everyone’s style.
- All this pampering can be topped off with some beautiful herbal tea and perhaps a new tea cup or mug with an infuser. The very act of brewing tea and sipping on it is a calming ritual and when you add in an appropriate variety of tea, you’re onto a winner. A good way to unwind is with a cup of caffeine-free sleep tea. Go to your specialty tea store and ask for some advice and there’s no doubt you’ll come away with something soothing and relaxing.
We're hoping some of these ideas will help your mum get the rest that she needs, and your thoughtful approach to this special day will be truly appreciated.