Before you head into a store
HAVE A FEW OPTIONS IN MIND
If you’re considering buying a mattress, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed by choice. We recommend starting with our online Mattress Selector, which is designed to provide you with tailored suggestions based on your information.
Once you know the type of mattress suitable for you, we recommend finding your nearest retailer and trying it in person. You may have a list of models, sizes or comfort ranges you wish to try.
Sealy comfort choices
Know your sleep habits
When in store, you’ll most likely be greeted by a salesperson who will ask open-ended questions to determine your needs and be ready with recommendations.
Take a moment beforehand to think about your sleep habits and what you’d like to improve about your current mattress. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you a side sleeper or do you usually sleep on your back?
- Do you know what type of mattress you’re currently sleeping on?
- Has it simply become too old, worn out and saggy?
- Does it have the right comfort level for you?
- Are you constantly waking up with back pain?
It’s a good idea to measure your current bed frame and the room itself, so you can be sure that your choice will fit the space.
Make yourself comfortable
Wear loose-fitting clothing that will allow you to move around comfortably. If you’re buying a new mattress with a partner, it will be important for both of you to go and test out the options. Feel free to take your favourite pillow with you so that you’re able to replicate your normal sleeping environment.
While testing mattresses
REACH OUT TO THE EXPERT
You’re looking for answers to your mattress questions, and it’s important that the salesperson understands whether you have any back issues or need specific support, as well as knowing the ins and outs of the product technology. The salesperson should:
- Be able to explain product differences. For example, if you tend to get hot at night, there are mattresses with breathable layers.
- Give you plenty of time and space to shop without hovering too much, letting you test the mattress alone and go back to them when you have a question.
- Be concerned about your needs, not just trying to push you into the most expensive item. You should feel relaxed around them without feeling too pressured into making a decision.
Be confident in your choice and feel comfortable with them.
Take your time
The only way to be sure about which mattress is right for you is to spend time on it. Don’t be shy about trying each one in order to get a feel for the differences. Take your shoes off and spend about 15 minutes lying on each mattress in your normal sleeping position, until you find the one you’re sure you’ll be happy with. Don’t rush, as the purchase ought to be one for the long-term.
BAG YOURSELF A BARGAIN
If you visit different retailers, the specific models might not be an exact match, but you can compare prices by taking note of the mattress specs and model range. For example, Sealy Posturepedic’s Premium range comes in Ultra Plush, Plush, Medium, Firm & Ultra Firm, which you can use to cross-reference at other stores. You can also take a look at our latest Mattress Sales.
Shop around at different retailers to see which one offers the best deal to fit your budget. Most importantly, think of your purchase as a valuable investment in yourself and your health because getting a good night’s sleep sets you up to tackle the challenges of everyday life with all the energy and enthusiasm you need.